9.8.09

OM NOM NOM

So my last post on China was very long, which made me hesitant about posting this, another post on China, this time on food.

But as a good Anthony Bourdain fan, I feel a need to promote awesome food that may not be in people's comfort zone. A lot of the stuff I liked best were very simple in preparation. Chop, boil/grill, and serve.

One time, my uncle took me to a fish farm near Beijing. Restaurants nearby use the fish in their dishes.

Holy shit. Best piece of grilled fish I have ever had, hands down. So good I couldn't help but eat half before taking a photo. The two yellow buns (I really can't find better words for those =D) on the side are corn meal filled with wild plants.

For a meat lover like myself, this was pretty damn good. And that's saying a lot since it had no cilantro.

Another weekend, my uncle took us out again, this time for Beijing street food.

Shredded cow stomach, no seasoning just boiled to well done. Sauce on the side. Think hot pot but done for you.

Chopped lamb head. Same preparation. Slightly different but equally awesome taste.

The more “normal” stuff that I had: lamb kabobs and beef noodles. Simple but hellz-yea-amazing

Looking back I have to say a lot of the stuff did not look too appetizing. But in the words of Bourdain, “You only live once.” Just go for it, you never know how it's gonna taste till it's in your mouth. It was all good for me the whole way through.

No comments: